MUST was started as the second public University in Uganda following the Uganda governments’ realization that higher education was a critical asset for nation building, and that Science and Technology was the most realistic driver to lead this initiative.
A culture of research and innovation needs to be harnessed into the university. An atmosphere that stimulates and nurtures this innovation is paramount in meeting the mission and goals of the university and making the university standout as a center of research and academic excellence.
Every year, students in the Institute of Computer Science do several projects. However, very few see the light of implementation. ICS awards is a channel that the Software Incubation and Innovations Unit of MUST has put into place to guide students to have these projected implemented in the real world.
To stimulate, harness and hone student ideas to sustainable ICT entrepreneurship.Objectives
The objective of these awards is to:
- Develop a culture of innovation in the Institute of Computer Science and the whole university
- Stimulate, mentor and nurture student innovations from school ideas to successful startups that will have a great impact on community development
- Empower students to develop relevant and up-to-date software development skills up to implementation
- Accelerate the development of commercial software from locally borne ideas in the university
- Open to all ICS Students
- First and second year students can submit project concepts
- Third and fourth year students can present their final year research projects
- An ICS student can submit a project they are currently working on
- Best concept award
- ICS Project of the year
- Students submit their entry into the competition on this website
- The panel of lecturers awarding marks for final year research projects can nominate projects to be considered for the awards
- An independent team of judges shall then determine the best project from the nominated projects
- Projects chosen shall demonstrate ability to be scaled to an international level
- Projects chosen shall have a clear business perspective with a clear demonstration of how they will make money
- Projects chosen shall demonstrate ability to develop and empower a good fraction of the community
There will be an awards ceremony that will be organized.
The date for this year’s awards ceremony is Wednesday 30th April, 2014
Details of this event will be availed on this website.